Grilled Red Snapper Filet, Salsa Fresca
Last time I went to Spa Eastman, I had this amazing Red Snapper and asked the Chef to share his recipe with you. So welcome to the world of delicious & healthy gastronomy“!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 7 min
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
4 shallots, finely chopped
Juice of one lemon
5 ml (1 tsp) chopped garlic
2 ml (1/2 tsp) fresh & finely grated ginger
A sprinkle of Cayenne
80 ml (1/3 cup) water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced small
5 ml (1 tsp) finely chopped fresh dill
¼ of a small red onion (60g/2oz) finely chopped
6 skinless red snapper filets of 180g. (6oz) each
30 ml (2 tbsp) herb oil
Lemon cut in quarters
1. Preheat the stove at 200°C (400°F)
2. Put the olive oil, half the shallots, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, water, salt and pepper in a blender for a minute. Pour into a bowl and add the rest of the shallots, mango, dill and onion. Adjust seasoning if needed.
3. Brush the filets with herb oil. Warm up a frying pan and cook filets for 2 minutes, without turning over. Set fillets with grilled side up on an oven tray covered with parchment paper. Put into oven for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Set filets in individual plates and pour cold sauce preparation.
5. Garnish with a few lemon wedges and serve immediately.
And, as a bonus, here’s a tip taken from one of the workshops:
« There are two types of salt: gem salt, extracted from salt mines (old dried out seas) and sea salt, harvested from saltern (a plot of land laid out in pools for the evaporation of seawater to produce salt). Coarse salt and table salt are generally refined gem salt. Sea salt naturally contains more minerals than the gem salt, but quantities are more modest, so it would take a large quantity to really reap the benefits). Additionally, sea salt has inferior salting power, thus the impulse of adding more to food and increasing the sodium intake. In conclusion, whether it’s gem salt or sea salt, it is very important to limit quantities. Daily average intake by North Americans ranges between 4000 to 6000mg, largely exceeding the recommendations of 3000mg total.»
OK now. Let’s get this cooking started!